Skip to main content

I thought nothing could hurt me anymore.







Caboose has been in respiratory distress for the last couple of nights. B took him to the emergency vet this morning around 1am since it kept Boose from eating, sleeping, and drinking. He wouldn’t even sit down. He would stand there with his snout upwards just trying to get enough air. I tried calming him down a few times and it would work for a little bit, but then he would start wheezing again.  When I put him in the kennel for the last time, his eyes were vacant and he didn’t want to be hugged. 

B says the vet put him on oxygen right away and offered to keep him for observation even though she was convinced Boose was experiencing congestive heart failure.  So B convinced me to let him stay under observation. I called the vet around 7am to see if there was any improvement. There wasn’t. Any treatments they were doing for CHF was making his kidney situation worse and they were already shutting down. Around 2pm, the next vet did another round of tests and confirmed that even though Boose’s breathing was getting a little bit better, his kidney numbers were decreasing and showing more failure. The vet said he was more alert with the oxygen but still listless.  

I made arrangements to have Boose euthanized this evening. We’ll get a chance to say goodbye and even be with him through the procedure. Ro is deciding if he wants to go, but I let him know he could stay with his grandma since he hates goodbyes. He wants to bury Boose in the backyard. 

Needless to say, I’m a complete basket case even though I was resigned to the possibility as soon as I put him in the kennel. My favorite working spot is right next to the patio door so I could let him in and out. With the rain at the moment, each tap on the door makes me think he was just outside this whole time instead of at the vet. It’s going to be a lot quieter now during the day.  The best part about the pandemic and working from home was that I got to spend just a little bit more time with my little dog. 

I love you and miss you. 

Comments

  1. You have my condolences. Caboose was a good, steadfast, and faithful dog that was well loved. He will be missed. I'm glad, you got to say goodbye to him. When was he born, and on what date and time did he take his leave?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I hope you’ve had a Merry Christmas

 Merry Christmas! Ours was pretty good.  Quick backtrack to Thanksgiving: We just did a small early dinner in Gramma Wanda’s backyard. It was warn and we ended up taking jackets off as well as ate inside. Torstein came with us to hang out with Sophie to be weirdo’s together. Ro also lost both of his front teeth and another bottom tooth that week. On a few Saturdays around that time, Ro went to a sort of Nasa coding camp at Fresno State since we had a break from golf. He ended being sick for two out of the three sessions, but he enjoyed the content. I also got a free community library card at the Fresno State library (job perk) and spent a lot of time knitting at Collect Coffee. Ro said he didn’t like spending a lot of time away from home though. He’s registered for baseball in spring, will be doing golf all year, and planning on tennis in summer (no refunds on that one for rain though the other two are flexible/flat rate).  Ro had a winter show at his school. The cafeteria was absolute

Streator, Illinois

I had been trying to plan a trip to visit my Aunt Jane and my Aunt Jean in Illinois for awhile.  Eventually, I heard that one of them was having dizzy spells and other health problems.  I figured that now would be better than later to go -- even if it was in the middle of summer time.  Ro will be starting pre-kindergarten in a few weeks and airplane tickets were just going to get more expensive until next February.   Day 1: We left Fresno Saturday just before noon.  Ro was raring to go on the trip until he realized how long it was going to be.  It didn't hit him until we got on the ramp to go from 99N to 152W.  Then he needed to use the bathroom and we tried to use a side road to convince Ro to go to the bathroom next to the road.  He's told us jubilantly before that one of the grandmas let him pee on a tree, but he just couldn't pee or defecate on the ground next to the car.  We packed him back into the car until we exited on 59N towards Merced and got h

March Update

B and I got our second Pfizer shots recently.  It's hard to tell if we're having side effects or psychosomatic symptoms.  After my first shot, I had some shortness of breath overnight, I was tired, I had bad allergies, my arm was super sore and I had weird upper back pain the next day.  After the second, I made sure to go running and that seemed to take care of the symptoms for the first night and next day.  I made the mistake of having a drink, thinking I was in the clear, but then I had random cold sweats and waves of pain in my head and back overnight with weird dreams about the pain and how it wouldn't go away until I got more shots.  Eventually, everything went away as if nothing ever happened.  B got his second shot last Friday and felt a bit of tiredness, but he went on a forty-five mile bike ride this morning -- the first group ride his bike gang has gone on since COVID started shutting things down -- and he seems fine now.  He's more worried about soreness beca