Skip to main content

I thought nothing could hurt me anymore.







Caboose has been in respiratory distress for the last couple of nights. B took him to the emergency vet this morning around 1am since it kept Boose from eating, sleeping, and drinking. He wouldn’t even sit down. He would stand there with his snout upwards just trying to get enough air. I tried calming him down a few times and it would work for a little bit, but then he would start wheezing again.  When I put him in the kennel for the last time, his eyes were vacant and he didn’t want to be hugged. 

B says the vet put him on oxygen right away and offered to keep him for observation even though she was convinced Boose was experiencing congestive heart failure.  So B convinced me to let him stay under observation. I called the vet around 7am to see if there was any improvement. There wasn’t. Any treatments they were doing for CHF was making his kidney situation worse and they were already shutting down. Around 2pm, the next vet did another round of tests and confirmed that even though Boose’s breathing was getting a little bit better, his kidney numbers were decreasing and showing more failure. The vet said he was more alert with the oxygen but still listless.  

I made arrangements to have Boose euthanized this evening. We’ll get a chance to say goodbye and even be with him through the procedure. Ro is deciding if he wants to go, but I let him know he could stay with his grandma since he hates goodbyes. He wants to bury Boose in the backyard. 

Needless to say, I’m a complete basket case even though I was resigned to the possibility as soon as I put him in the kennel. My favorite working spot is right next to the patio door so I could let him in and out. With the rain at the moment, each tap on the door makes me think he was just outside this whole time instead of at the vet. It’s going to be a lot quieter now during the day.  The best part about the pandemic and working from home was that I got to spend just a little bit more time with my little dog. 

I love you and miss you. 

Comments

  1. You have my condolences. Caboose was a good, steadfast, and faithful dog that was well loved. He will be missed. I'm glad, you got to say goodbye to him. When was he born, and on what date and time did he take his leave?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year!

Christmas worked out pretty well. We did Christmas Eve with B's grandpa and mom at PF Changs and did a present exchange and play pool at B's grandpa's house afterwards. Dinner at Sharon's on Christmas Day was also nice, but we're noticing it's starting to get more difficult for her. We may start taking her and Denise out for Christmas dinner starting next year because it's cutting into hangout/talking and isn't as relaxing as it used to be. Ro got almost everything he wanted for Christmas though he's starting to question more seriously if Santa is real. I'm trying to move him into the "open secret" direction. We'll see how it goes. Ro got a new football, Arthur (PBS cartoon) sock set, Peanuts comics, and gift cards. He's been trying to find an excuse to grab anyone he can to go out and throw around his football. Everyone got petanque bags in their stockings. Santa also gave B a measuring stick and light-up cochenette, but B and...

May 2026

Ooops. I didn't realized I let this go so long without an update. Nothing personal, just lost track of time. We went on a cruise right before Ramadan to MX (7 nights to Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV) with Emmy. Everything would have been better if we didn't get a drink package for our room. Maybe then she might not have gotten drunk and curse at Ro twice and criticized our parenting. We let the first curse go, but then she did the rest during dinner on the 6th night and B got mad at her. She ended up with food poisoning on the 6th day/7th night and stayed in the room all day so we weren't bothered and had an awkward drive back to Fresno from LA. She owed me $1300 once we got back, which made everything more awkward. B and I think she didn't think I was bothered by the whole thing and that only B owed her an apology. Especially since she doubled down about cursing at Ro and never apologized for the way she acted. She kept hinting in later conversations that we might need to d...

Happy Birthday!

I hope today is going ok for you. It feels like it's been busy, but I don't know that much new has been going on since my last post. Mom came to visit in time for Ro's joint theater birthday party yesterday and will be heading out tomorrow. We saw Howl's Moving Castle. It came out when I was in high school, but I never saw the whole movie. It was really pretty and there was a lot going on. I think I might go back and read the book. The kids seemed to enjoy the movie even though it was also really long. We all looked over at where all the kids were sitting and it looked like someone dumped a large bucket of popcorn straight on the floor. The other kid's mom watched everyone to see who was trying to leave the theater for whatever reason (more drinks, bathroom, etc) and kept everyone together. It was a much smaller group this year even with having a joint party. The ads in the beginning were the worst - they took up almost a whole hour before the movie actually starte...