Skip to main content

March Update

B and I got our second Pfizer shots recently.  It's hard to tell if we're having side effects or psychosomatic symptoms.  After my first shot, I had some shortness of breath overnight, I was tired, I had bad allergies, my arm was super sore and I had weird upper back pain the next day.  After the second, I made sure to go running and that seemed to take care of the symptoms for the first night and next day.  I made the mistake of having a drink, thinking I was in the clear, but then I had random cold sweats and waves of pain in my head and back overnight with weird dreams about the pain and how it wouldn't go away until I got more shots.  Eventually, everything went away as if nothing ever happened.  B got his second shot last Friday and felt a bit of tiredness, but he went on a forty-five mile bike ride this morning -- the first group ride his bike gang has gone on since COVID started shutting things down -- and he seems fine now.  He's more worried about soreness because he hadn't traveled more than twenty miles on his solo rides.  

Ro's school is going to open to hybrid learning after spring break.  Half the class does Tuesdays and Wednesdays while the other half does Thursday and Friday and the teacher teaches the whole class simultaneously everyday with the students who opt to finish the year online only.  All the kids are doing school online, but some kids will be in front of the teacher because every kid who is in the classroom will still be in front of a laptop, with a mask on, and with over-the-ear headphones on.  (At what point do parents opting in just admit that they really just want free, socially-supported babysitting? 😠)  Of course before the school gave us a chance to decide whether or not Ro would do distance learning or hybrid, Ro's Grandma Wanda got word from the boss that she needed to go back into work for two days per week and we had already decided on days that weren't TuW or ThF -- and even if we had, the school chooses at random and we're stuck with whatever they chose after the fact.  I asked Wanda what she would be willing to do since she would still do most of Ro's distance learning, and she requested that Ro stay with distance learning.  B and I had decided that Ro would not go back to his old social activities (mainly ninja class) until after Wanda was fully vaccinated (Grandpa Ron is already fully vaccinated and Ro's Aunt Diane is probably next.), and so I filled out the school questionnaire to keep Ro doing distance learning for the last two months of school.  Then Wanda got her first vaccine last weekend.  🙌 It's only a matter of time until things are closer to normal.  

I had postponed our dentist appointments to May, but I'm going to reschedule for June after school is out.  Ro hasn't had a chance to get sick and has had a perfect year.  I've talked to Mom about sending Ro over for the summer similar to how Ev and I used to go to Illinois. The only problem is that none of those people are showing any inclination to be fully vaccinated by then.  Ev is still working on flight school and dating a guy named Evan.  I haven't really heard much else going on there.  Mom sends pictures of rabbits sometimes, but she's given up on the Malaysian lessons.


Ro and I are still getting around on the bike.  I now have 371 miles on it.  We go often to the tea shop and to a small bakery called Mabel's Kitchen.  I try to use it instead of the car when I can.  I have a feeling we'll be more able to cut out the car on trips to Clovis when it feels safer to use public transportation again.  

I love you and miss you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I hope you’ve had a Merry Christmas

 Merry Christmas! Ours was pretty good.  Quick backtrack to Thanksgiving: We just did a small early dinner in Gramma Wanda’s backyard. It was warn and we ended up taking jackets off as well as ate inside. Torstein came with us to hang out with Sophie to be weirdo’s together. Ro also lost both of his front teeth and another bottom tooth that week. On a few Saturdays around that time, Ro went to a sort of Nasa coding camp at Fresno State since we had a break from golf. He ended being sick for two out of the three sessions, but he enjoyed the content. I also got a free community library card at the Fresno State library (job perk) and spent a lot of time knitting at Collect Coffee. Ro said he didn’t like spending a lot of time away from home though. He’s registered for baseball in spring, will be doing golf all year, and planning on tennis in summer (no refunds on that one for rain though the other two are flexible/flat rate).  Ro had a winter show at his school. The cafeteria was absolute

Streator, Illinois

I had been trying to plan a trip to visit my Aunt Jane and my Aunt Jean in Illinois for awhile.  Eventually, I heard that one of them was having dizzy spells and other health problems.  I figured that now would be better than later to go -- even if it was in the middle of summer time.  Ro will be starting pre-kindergarten in a few weeks and airplane tickets were just going to get more expensive until next February.   Day 1: We left Fresno Saturday just before noon.  Ro was raring to go on the trip until he realized how long it was going to be.  It didn't hit him until we got on the ramp to go from 99N to 152W.  Then he needed to use the bathroom and we tried to use a side road to convince Ro to go to the bathroom next to the road.  He's told us jubilantly before that one of the grandmas let him pee on a tree, but he just couldn't pee or defecate on the ground next to the car.  We packed him back into the car until we exited on 59N towards Merced and got h