Skip to main content

March Update

B and I got our second Pfizer shots recently.  It's hard to tell if we're having side effects or psychosomatic symptoms.  After my first shot, I had some shortness of breath overnight, I was tired, I had bad allergies, my arm was super sore and I had weird upper back pain the next day.  After the second, I made sure to go running and that seemed to take care of the symptoms for the first night and next day.  I made the mistake of having a drink, thinking I was in the clear, but then I had random cold sweats and waves of pain in my head and back overnight with weird dreams about the pain and how it wouldn't go away until I got more shots.  Eventually, everything went away as if nothing ever happened.  B got his second shot last Friday and felt a bit of tiredness, but he went on a forty-five mile bike ride this morning -- the first group ride his bike gang has gone on since COVID started shutting things down -- and he seems fine now.  He's more worried about soreness because he hadn't traveled more than twenty miles on his solo rides.  

Ro's school is going to open to hybrid learning after spring break.  Half the class does Tuesdays and Wednesdays while the other half does Thursday and Friday and the teacher teaches the whole class simultaneously everyday with the students who opt to finish the year online only.  All the kids are doing school online, but some kids will be in front of the teacher because every kid who is in the classroom will still be in front of a laptop, with a mask on, and with over-the-ear headphones on.  (At what point do parents opting in just admit that they really just want free, socially-supported babysitting? 😠)  Of course before the school gave us a chance to decide whether or not Ro would do distance learning or hybrid, Ro's Grandma Wanda got word from the boss that she needed to go back into work for two days per week and we had already decided on days that weren't TuW or ThF -- and even if we had, the school chooses at random and we're stuck with whatever they chose after the fact.  I asked Wanda what she would be willing to do since she would still do most of Ro's distance learning, and she requested that Ro stay with distance learning.  B and I had decided that Ro would not go back to his old social activities (mainly ninja class) until after Wanda was fully vaccinated (Grandpa Ron is already fully vaccinated and Ro's Aunt Diane is probably next.), and so I filled out the school questionnaire to keep Ro doing distance learning for the last two months of school.  Then Wanda got her first vaccine last weekend.  🙌 It's only a matter of time until things are closer to normal.  

I had postponed our dentist appointments to May, but I'm going to reschedule for June after school is out.  Ro hasn't had a chance to get sick and has had a perfect year.  I've talked to Mom about sending Ro over for the summer similar to how Ev and I used to go to Illinois. The only problem is that none of those people are showing any inclination to be fully vaccinated by then.  Ev is still working on flight school and dating a guy named Evan.  I haven't really heard much else going on there.  Mom sends pictures of rabbits sometimes, but she's given up on the Malaysian lessons.


Ro and I are still getting around on the bike.  I now have 371 miles on it.  We go often to the tea shop and to a small bakery called Mabel's Kitchen.  I try to use it instead of the car when I can.  I have a feeling we'll be more able to cut out the car on trips to Clovis when it feels safer to use public transportation again.  

I love you and miss you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year!

Christmas worked out pretty well. We did Christmas Eve with B's grandpa and mom at PF Changs and did a present exchange and play pool at B's grandpa's house afterwards. Dinner at Sharon's on Christmas Day was also nice, but we're noticing it's starting to get more difficult for her. We may start taking her and Denise out for Christmas dinner starting next year because it's cutting into hangout/talking and isn't as relaxing as it used to be. Ro got almost everything he wanted for Christmas though he's starting to question more seriously if Santa is real. I'm trying to move him into the "open secret" direction. We'll see how it goes. Ro got a new football, Arthur (PBS cartoon) sock set, Peanuts comics, and gift cards. He's been trying to find an excuse to grab anyone he can to go out and throw around his football. Everyone got petanque bags in their stockings. Santa also gave B a measuring stick and light-up cochenette, but B and...

May 2026

Ooops. I didn't realized I let this go so long without an update. Nothing personal, just lost track of time. We went on a cruise right before Ramadan to MX (7 nights to Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV) with Emmy. Everything would have been better if we didn't get a drink package for our room. Maybe then she might not have gotten drunk and curse at Ro twice and criticized our parenting. We let the first curse go, but then she did the rest during dinner on the 6th night and B got mad at her. She ended up with food poisoning on the 6th day/7th night and stayed in the room all day so we weren't bothered and had an awkward drive back to Fresno from LA. She owed me $1300 once we got back, which made everything more awkward. B and I think she didn't think I was bothered by the whole thing and that only B owed her an apology. Especially since she doubled down about cursing at Ro and never apologized for the way she acted. She kept hinting in later conversations that we might need to d...

Happy Birthday!

I hope today is going ok for you. It feels like it's been busy, but I don't know that much new has been going on since my last post. Mom came to visit in time for Ro's joint theater birthday party yesterday and will be heading out tomorrow. We saw Howl's Moving Castle. It came out when I was in high school, but I never saw the whole movie. It was really pretty and there was a lot going on. I think I might go back and read the book. The kids seemed to enjoy the movie even though it was also really long. We all looked over at where all the kids were sitting and it looked like someone dumped a large bucket of popcorn straight on the floor. The other kid's mom watched everyone to see who was trying to leave the theater for whatever reason (more drinks, bathroom, etc) and kept everyone together. It was a much smaller group this year even with having a joint party. The ads in the beginning were the worst - they took up almost a whole hour before the movie actually starte...