Skip to main content

May Update

 It's June 1st! So it's been awhile. I feel like this month has passed by, but I don't remember what we did. I think I mentioned Bookfest 2025 in my last post so I'll look through my calendar and figure out what I did since then. 

The weather has been pretty decent all month up until last week after Memorial Day weekend. I set up a card table in the garage one day to be able to work from home and let Ro play with his remote control batmobile and skateboard across the street. Tor was out with us and mostly stuck around. 

 

Work from home setup complete with desk muppet

B and Ro have been checking out churches because Ro has starting wondering what religions are out there. B hasn't been making me go to the Christian ones (or any of them really...because I don't want to). Ro seems to have this idea that the Christian ones don't have as much of an emphasis of the "Do this or you'll go to Hell" aspect. He's in for a rude awakening. Mom has plans for him to do a Muslim school sort of thing over the summer anyways so I'm not too worried about what he'll pick up. I also have a feeling that whatever he learns in the meantime will help him figure out his spirituality anyways. This probably makes me a really bad Muslim mom. 

Anyhow, I mention that because over Memorial Day weekend, I managed to finally get up three bike racks that I ordered parts for months ago. Ro was skeptical that they would stay up and requested that his bike should not be hung up. B said that he hoped I was not intending to mount my cargo bike on it. In the end, I mounted B's mountain bike, our commuter bike, and Ro's bike. Two held up ok including Ro's, but the third came crashing down without B or me hearing because B's mountain bike was just too heavy. I moved it into the stud and patched the holes. It's been fine since. 

B, Ro, and Tor hung out with me for a bit in the garage while I was installing the bike racks. I didn't think much about Tor running around off leash since he stuck around a few weeks before. Then, B and Ro went inside, and we all forgot about Tor. Later on, I remembered him. B and Ro couldn't find him inside the house. I called down the street, and Tor came right back. He's an odd dog.

B thinks the next project should be checking the insulation in the attic because the temperature inside the top floor got to 88 degrees yesterday (106 outside). He's probably right. I also still need to get B's grandpa's sliding screen door rescreened, but I will need to rent a truck for that one. I got it to our house before B sold the Ranger to you and now we don't have a vehicle to move it out of our house (hah).

I made it out biking last weekend on Monday and Tuesday on my cargobike. Monday was heading to Trolley Park near Fresno high while B and Ro were working on B's grandpa's yard. I forgot about Ampersand's block party because I was trying to find the Fresno County Bike Coalition's Coffee Outside event. I couldn't really find the people, but my bike attracted the owner of Tower Velo. I had met him a long time ago when I was pregnant, and he is just as nice now. I'm glad his shop is still open. I hung out for a bit, ate, and then went back. The whole trip was about 15 miles roundtrip. 

Last Wednesday, I made it to work and back. I didn't have any near misses and the protected bike lane is pretty nice. I'll see how it goes next week since I might be able to make it on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and maybe Friday next week. 

With the whole return to office thing, I'm worried about parking and wanted to bike to try it out. The return to office thing is pretty annoying. I know why the governor is doing it, but I feel like he's losing left backing him with that decision. I'm also worried about schedule flexibility, since I still have to figure out how to do Ro's afterschool activities. His school sanctioned activities don't start until 5th grade and he's only finishing up the 3rd grade. We joke at work that the school schedules were created by people that don't have children and the return the work stuff was decided by the same people. 

Anyhow, I love you and miss you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year!

Christmas worked out pretty well. We did Christmas Eve with B's grandpa and mom at PF Changs and did a present exchange and play pool at B's grandpa's house afterwards. Dinner at Sharon's on Christmas Day was also nice, but we're noticing it's starting to get more difficult for her. We may start taking her and Denise out for Christmas dinner starting next year because it's cutting into hangout/talking and isn't as relaxing as it used to be. Ro got almost everything he wanted for Christmas though he's starting to question more seriously if Santa is real. I'm trying to move him into the "open secret" direction. We'll see how it goes. Ro got a new football, Arthur (PBS cartoon) sock set, Peanuts comics, and gift cards. He's been trying to find an excuse to grab anyone he can to go out and throw around his football. Everyone got petanque bags in their stockings. Santa also gave B a measuring stick and light-up cochenette, but B and...

May 2026

Ooops. I didn't realized I let this go so long without an update. Nothing personal, just lost track of time. We went on a cruise right before Ramadan to MX (7 nights to Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV) with Emmy. Everything would have been better if we didn't get a drink package for our room. Maybe then she might not have gotten drunk and curse at Ro twice and criticized our parenting. We let the first curse go, but then she did the rest during dinner on the 6th night and B got mad at her. She ended up with food poisoning on the 6th day/7th night and stayed in the room all day so we weren't bothered and had an awkward drive back to Fresno from LA. She owed me $1300 once we got back, which made everything more awkward. B and I think she didn't think I was bothered by the whole thing and that only B owed her an apology. Especially since she doubled down about cursing at Ro and never apologized for the way she acted. She kept hinting in later conversations that we might need to d...

Happy Birthday!

I hope today is going ok for you. It feels like it's been busy, but I don't know that much new has been going on since my last post. Mom came to visit in time for Ro's joint theater birthday party yesterday and will be heading out tomorrow. We saw Howl's Moving Castle. It came out when I was in high school, but I never saw the whole movie. It was really pretty and there was a lot going on. I think I might go back and read the book. The kids seemed to enjoy the movie even though it was also really long. We all looked over at where all the kids were sitting and it looked like someone dumped a large bucket of popcorn straight on the floor. The other kid's mom watched everyone to see who was trying to leave the theater for whatever reason (more drinks, bathroom, etc) and kept everyone together. It was a much smaller group this year even with having a joint party. The ads in the beginning were the worst - they took up almost a whole hour before the movie actually starte...