Skip to main content

October 2022

Ro pretty much just finished learning how to ride a bike. He has a red 20” Specialized bike with handlebar brakes that he got for his birthday a few weeks ago. We never had him on training wheels. I just took the pedals off, he got used to gliding, and then finally seemed like he was ready for the pedaling movements. When B put the pedals back, he just took off and started going. He’ll use the brakes and put his feet down when he gets scared but we just remind him it’s a perfectly natural safety precaution and try again. I think it got 10k steps just running after him to make sure he was ok. He did a good job with positive self-talk as he went. He could have been completely derailed when he ran into the chain-link fence surrounding the park almost right away, scraped his knuckles a little bit, and got upset from being scared. After we were sure he was okay, he hopped back up, tried again, and got it. 

B often thinks I don’t tell Ro “no” enough. I don’t know that there’s a right answer to that. Our parenting styles are different. He comes from the “children should be seen, not heard, and should definitely not be touching painted walls” philosophy. I’ve been feeling more of a “the world is filled with assholes you’ll have to deal with, and so I’ll teach you how to politely assert yourself and get what you need” view. After the pediatric counseling check in and a recommended parenting class with a focus on kids with anxiety (and ADHD though not applicable with Ro), everything seems to be build off more of managing expectations and realizing that kids just aren’t emotionally stable. Also, on focusing on influence rather than commanding certain behaviors. 

Ro doesn’t ask for a lot though maybe because he doesn’t watch a lot of commercials — he’s mainly using PBS kids, Disney+, and Netflix, which don’t have any commercials. What he does ask for, we can usually figure out a root need and find a compromise. For example, Mom is currently visiting, Ro wanted to ride his bike, but we needed to go to the grocery store and make dinner. His compromise was to ride his bike to the grocery store. I told him his bike was too small to securely lock and too big to bring into the store. He tried to throw a tantrum so Mom and I said it was fine to stay home with B and we would go biking after going to the store. He was fine when we got home, we went biking while Mom made dinner, and everything turned out okay. Could I have put off biking for another day? Maybe, but it wasn’t necessary. It was also nicer to do it while Mom was making dinner so one of us wouldn’t resent missing a big event with a chore. On a regular day, I probably would have just put a parameter on it like going once or twice around the neighborhood with a “one last time warning.” 

I have noticed that when I give Ro a chance to make a decision and discuss respect, comfort, and responsibility that he usually makes the right decision. At the end of his last loop when we were sure he got it, I asked if he wanted to go one more time, two more times, or head back because Mom would be done with dinner soon and I was dying from keeping up with him. He chose to go home right away. I wonder if the trick is about teaching about the importance of values and making sure you’ve influence them into making their own good decisions since there’s only so much behavior you can command. You know this with me since I wouldn’t listen to anyone telling me what to do — B would say that I still don’t really. 

Speaking of such things, I’ve noticed that B has been digging at me more often lately. He recently interviewed for a mew position and mentioned needing to go over the pros and cons of everything. He also hasn’t been able to exercise as often lately. He’s still trying to play basketball more often than bicycling. 

I saw this meme today, and it reminded me of what you said about making friends. The people that I would probably have the most fun with are people who are focused around their kids activities, reading, or exhausted from their own tiring, yet rewarding, jobs. I’ve found my more recent friends at work and meetup groups. I talk to other parents at Ro’s activities, but it’s pretty shallow conversation. Emmy had observed during one of our conversations that the whole gauging attitude then offering a number exchange is very much like dating. I’ve found that to be very true. Only two of my four non-work number exchanges since graduating college turned out successful so far. The “Cafe” episode on Bluey also sums up very well of how an indefinite numbers of interactions are needed before becoming friends. 

FYI, if there’s a New Horizons band near you, you may want to consider joining. Ours definitely needs more percussionists. Our tympani player tries her hardest, but you’d throw her out of the water headfirst if you were here. I told a coworker about it and her mom started playing with us. We didn’t have any french horn players before and now we’re hearing everything we’ve been missing. They also do lots of social stuff to chat and make friends afterwards, but I haven’t been able to go because of work the next day and Ro not wanting to fall asleep before I go home.

Ok, I just checked. They definitely need more percussionists and be sure to let them know they need to hold practices after 6pm if on a weekday if they want more members. Ours is affiliated with the local adult school to keep the word out and the lights on. It also allows it to remain secular and open for all. I would suggest joining, making friends, and then joining their board and changing things up. 😛 Or find a different community band through an adult school or community college.

On that last bit in your email, Sharon had mentioned that she noticed my stepmother’s demeanor would change when we joked about something and she also seemed jealous at times. I’m pissed and tried to take time away from processing the reminder that we’re mainly Mom’s kids. I tell people that I didn’t really grow up with Mom because she was too busy finding herself and didn’t seem to want kids or parent until we were teenagers. It was often just Ev, me, and you, and a lot of dinners at Carl’s Jr. 

Quick news: Ev was recently hired on a training program to fly with a reputable yet small puddle-jumping commercial service. (You may guess the one. It’s not a discount airline.) Ro dressed up as a pilot for golf. We’ll see what he chooses for Halloween. 

I love you and miss you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I hope you’ve had a Merry Christmas

 Merry Christmas! Ours was pretty good.  Quick backtrack to Thanksgiving: We just did a small early dinner in Gramma Wanda’s backyard. It was warn and we ended up taking jackets off as well as ate inside. Torstein came with us to hang out with Sophie to be weirdo’s together. Ro also lost both of his front teeth and another bottom tooth that week. On a few Saturdays around that time, Ro went to a sort of Nasa coding camp at Fresno State since we had a break from golf. He ended being sick for two out of the three sessions, but he enjoyed the content. I also got a free community library card at the Fresno State library (job perk) and spent a lot of time knitting at Collect Coffee. Ro said he didn’t like spending a lot of time away from home though. He’s registered for baseball in spring, will be doing golf all year, and planning on tennis in summer (no refunds on that one for rain though the other two are flexible/flat rate).  Ro had a winter show at his school. The cafeteria was absolute

Streator, Illinois

I had been trying to plan a trip to visit my Aunt Jane and my Aunt Jean in Illinois for awhile.  Eventually, I heard that one of them was having dizzy spells and other health problems.  I figured that now would be better than later to go -- even if it was in the middle of summer time.  Ro will be starting pre-kindergarten in a few weeks and airplane tickets were just going to get more expensive until next February.   Day 1: We left Fresno Saturday just before noon.  Ro was raring to go on the trip until he realized how long it was going to be.  It didn't hit him until we got on the ramp to go from 99N to 152W.  Then he needed to use the bathroom and we tried to use a side road to convince Ro to go to the bathroom next to the road.  He's told us jubilantly before that one of the grandmas let him pee on a tree, but he just couldn't pee or defecate on the ground next to the car.  We packed him back into the car until we exited on 59N towards Merced and got h

March Update

B and I got our second Pfizer shots recently.  It's hard to tell if we're having side effects or psychosomatic symptoms.  After my first shot, I had some shortness of breath overnight, I was tired, I had bad allergies, my arm was super sore and I had weird upper back pain the next day.  After the second, I made sure to go running and that seemed to take care of the symptoms for the first night and next day.  I made the mistake of having a drink, thinking I was in the clear, but then I had random cold sweats and waves of pain in my head and back overnight with weird dreams about the pain and how it wouldn't go away until I got more shots.  Eventually, everything went away as if nothing ever happened.  B got his second shot last Friday and felt a bit of tiredness, but he went on a forty-five mile bike ride this morning -- the first group ride his bike gang has gone on since COVID started shutting things down -- and he seems fine now.  He's more worried about soreness beca