Skip to main content

End of June and Beginning of July

The car radio has been working fine. But then B accidentally knocked my mounted microphone behind the dashboard with the sun shade. The Jeep was due for an oil change so I took time yesterday morning to do the oil change, and then take apart the center panel to fish everything back where it needs to be. I remounted the microphone in a new spot where it may be less affected, but maybe I'll try to get better mounting tape to keep it in place. Anna said the sound wasn't affected by it being in the dash, but I feel like it works better when it's out. 

B and I made it out for a trip at the end of June to see Shakira in San Francisco. She played a really good show. There were four little girls that were sitting behind us who knew the words to many of her Spanish songs and it was adorable to have that chorus behind us. She had quite a few props like a giant inflatable wolf for her encore. I realized that I know more of her music in Spanish than English, but of course she sang anything with an English option in English since she was in America. The funny thing is that I think the crowd would have been fine if everything was in Spanish. The people-watching at the show was also the best between all the gay men, drag queens, Latina women, bachelorette parties, and the white men everyone name above dragged with them to the show. Ro stayed with B's mom while we were there and it was the first time we were away from him (other than a friend's sleepover) in a very long time. We had a chance to visit Emmy near the ferry building during her lunch before we went home, but we didn't do much else. 

July looks like it got busier for us. I joined two bands -- one with the local adult school that is more of a training/practice and the other is a concert band that was four practices over three weekends then a final concert set to a movie on the third weekend. It's pretty wild. I play the third trombone part and I tried to tell them that I can't reach bass trombone notes, but I still manage to get bass trombone parts anyways.  

Ro is still having his free range summer with Grandma Wanda, but he'll be starting swim lessons this week. Swim lessons will continue the week after and then he'll have archery lessons the week after that. I'm looking at going to Auckland with Mom during Ro's 2nd week of swim lessons. So everyone will probably have fun while I'm out. No plans yet on what we'll be doing there. After all that, Ro will be heading to WA again with Mom for two week, we'll meet up in San Francisco the weekend before school starts, and then school will start. 

I made a deal with Ro that if he read 40min in English and 40 mins in Spanish each week until school started that I would give him $100. He barely negotiated everything and we've been keeping track anyways because of the library summer reading program. My friends said that I'm actually getting a good deal if reading was labor or if he was reading for allowance. 

Ro and B also decided to try pétanque and have been playing that for the last three weeks. There's a local club that gets together at least weekly. They have professional players and many of the members play in tournaments. Some people have skill but everyone else seems to get by with luck. Everyone is nice though. 

I've been trying to exercise when I can. My running watch died a few weeks ago at a friend's pool and Garmin gave me 20% off replacement if I sent the old one back. It suggested that I run 45mins this morning (old one didn't  have that feature) so I tried. Then I played pétanque with B and Ro. I may have over done it. B and I are leaning towards a racquet club membership still. B would get discounts on lessons, I would be able to use their weight room, and we'd all be able to use their pool. B and Ro went to our community pool when I was changing the oil and said that things weren't great there. I guess other homeowners don't treat things that well.

Work has been wild lately. Our union just delayed the governor's return to office order. I asked my boss if she was at a point of thinking "You guys just do whatever you want as long as work gets done." She said she has to follow the rules, but pretty much. I have a few coworkers under limited-term positions that are scrambling to try to stay employed or shift around as their contracts are coming up. We started a mentor/mentee program and there's a chance I may lose my mentor at the end of the month. State budgeting is weird. There isn't any more talk about pay cuts and furloughs though. Other than that, I've managed to snap out a permit so my workload has felt like it's decreased though maybe it didn't actually. 

I love you and miss you.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year!

Christmas worked out pretty well. We did Christmas Eve with B's grandpa and mom at PF Changs and did a present exchange and play pool at B's grandpa's house afterwards. Dinner at Sharon's on Christmas Day was also nice, but we're noticing it's starting to get more difficult for her. We may start taking her and Denise out for Christmas dinner starting next year because it's cutting into hangout/talking and isn't as relaxing as it used to be. Ro got almost everything he wanted for Christmas though he's starting to question more seriously if Santa is real. I'm trying to move him into the "open secret" direction. We'll see how it goes. Ro got a new football, Arthur (PBS cartoon) sock set, Peanuts comics, and gift cards. He's been trying to find an excuse to grab anyone he can to go out and throw around his football. Everyone got petanque bags in their stockings. Santa also gave B a measuring stick and light-up cochenette, but B and...

May 2026

Ooops. I didn't realized I let this go so long without an update. Nothing personal, just lost track of time. We went on a cruise right before Ramadan to MX (7 nights to Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV) with Emmy. Everything would have been better if we didn't get a drink package for our room. Maybe then she might not have gotten drunk and curse at Ro twice and criticized our parenting. We let the first curse go, but then she did the rest during dinner on the 6th night and B got mad at her. She ended up with food poisoning on the 6th day/7th night and stayed in the room all day so we weren't bothered and had an awkward drive back to Fresno from LA. She owed me $1300 once we got back, which made everything more awkward. B and I think she didn't think I was bothered by the whole thing and that only B owed her an apology. Especially since she doubled down about cursing at Ro and never apologized for the way she acted. She kept hinting in later conversations that we might need to d...

Happy Birthday!

I hope today is going ok for you. It feels like it's been busy, but I don't know that much new has been going on since my last post. Mom came to visit in time for Ro's joint theater birthday party yesterday and will be heading out tomorrow. We saw Howl's Moving Castle. It came out when I was in high school, but I never saw the whole movie. It was really pretty and there was a lot going on. I think I might go back and read the book. The kids seemed to enjoy the movie even though it was also really long. We all looked over at where all the kids were sitting and it looked like someone dumped a large bucket of popcorn straight on the floor. The other kid's mom watched everyone to see who was trying to leave the theater for whatever reason (more drinks, bathroom, etc) and kept everyone together. It was a much smaller group this year even with having a joint party. The ads in the beginning were the worst - they took up almost a whole hour before the movie actually starte...