Skip to main content

First Week of June

I always want to type first that nothing has been going on, and then I realize that minor things do happen. This week it was that Ro's school has been teaching them folk dancing, I installed a new radio with a backup camera in the Jeep, and we went to a neat concert held by Radio Bilingüe.

I had taken Ro to one folk dancing event at the library while B was doing tennis lessons. Ro was a little skeptical at first and wasn't excited about the hand-holding, but I told him they used to teach folk dancing in schools as P.E. then music class, and then they just stopped. He ended up really liking it. The average age must have been around 70-80 years old and they didn't mind having to dip down to hold hands with him. I found out I can still make my hands sweat on command. We haven't made it back yet, but I think we'll have to now.

For the last week, Ro said that the school was able to find a vendor or volunteer to teach folk dancing to the whole school. He said he was excited because we had already taken one class. He said some of his friends loved it and others thought it was awkward. The school ended up having an event where the parents could join in to dance with all the kids. B got there first so I got pictures and video evidence that he danced with Ro. It was also how they met the new principal since Ro's current principal is leaving to teach at another school. 

The new radio is pretty cool. I had bought a backup camera during Black Friday last year for $35 and then this radio came on sale last week for $299. The setup was pretty easy, but I got tired while wiring the camera through the car and scratched/bruised my forehead when I bent down after leaving the glove box open. That was probably the worst of it and everything got better after I called everything names. Then I turned the car on and the radio didn't work. Luckily, I double checked the box and realized I was missing a part and that one part made he whole thing work. The backup camera also worked right away without any issues either. 

The Radio Bilingüe was pretty neat because it was 3 straight hours of 20 minute sets of Latino music by Central Valley musicians at the Veteran's Memorial Auditorium in downtown Fresno. It was really well put together. I think my favorite sets were a rap artist, a female Norteño trio, and a jazzy rock band with a female singer. I can't remember the names of any of the artists because there were so many. 

I hope things are going well for you. I love you and miss you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year!

Christmas worked out pretty well. We did Christmas Eve with B's grandpa and mom at PF Changs and did a present exchange and play pool at B's grandpa's house afterwards. Dinner at Sharon's on Christmas Day was also nice, but we're noticing it's starting to get more difficult for her. We may start taking her and Denise out for Christmas dinner starting next year because it's cutting into hangout/talking and isn't as relaxing as it used to be. Ro got almost everything he wanted for Christmas though he's starting to question more seriously if Santa is real. I'm trying to move him into the "open secret" direction. We'll see how it goes. Ro got a new football, Arthur (PBS cartoon) sock set, Peanuts comics, and gift cards. He's been trying to find an excuse to grab anyone he can to go out and throw around his football. Everyone got petanque bags in their stockings. Santa also gave B a measuring stick and light-up cochenette, but B and...

May 2026

Ooops. I didn't realized I let this go so long without an update. Nothing personal, just lost track of time. We went on a cruise right before Ramadan to MX (7 nights to Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV) with Emmy. Everything would have been better if we didn't get a drink package for our room. Maybe then she might not have gotten drunk and curse at Ro twice and criticized our parenting. We let the first curse go, but then she did the rest during dinner on the 6th night and B got mad at her. She ended up with food poisoning on the 6th day/7th night and stayed in the room all day so we weren't bothered and had an awkward drive back to Fresno from LA. She owed me $1300 once we got back, which made everything more awkward. B and I think she didn't think I was bothered by the whole thing and that only B owed her an apology. Especially since she doubled down about cursing at Ro and never apologized for the way she acted. She kept hinting in later conversations that we might need to d...

Happy Birthday!

I hope today is going ok for you. It feels like it's been busy, but I don't know that much new has been going on since my last post. Mom came to visit in time for Ro's joint theater birthday party yesterday and will be heading out tomorrow. We saw Howl's Moving Castle. It came out when I was in high school, but I never saw the whole movie. It was really pretty and there was a lot going on. I think I might go back and read the book. The kids seemed to enjoy the movie even though it was also really long. We all looked over at where all the kids were sitting and it looked like someone dumped a large bucket of popcorn straight on the floor. The other kid's mom watched everyone to see who was trying to leave the theater for whatever reason (more drinks, bathroom, etc) and kept everyone together. It was a much smaller group this year even with having a joint party. The ads in the beginning were the worst - they took up almost a whole hour before the movie actually starte...